Isara Foundation was started in 2005 and provides help directly to those who are in need. Isara projects focus on the improvement of education (free Learning Center, government school volunteer teachers, and scholarships), health and safety (helmet campaign), and the environment (Recycling Center and trash clean-up campaigns).
In 2006, Isara opened a free Learning Center
, located in the heart of Nong Khai, Thailand. Each afternoon, more than one hundred students study English, computers, and art, from our amazing volunteers. Isara also provides volunteer teachers to many government schools around Thailand and also scholarships to motivated learners.
Health & Safety:
Motorcycle helmet safety is a big part of our commitment to the community and the people who live here. Since 2005 we have donated more than 4,000 helmets to students around Thailand and work with local police and hospitals to educate people about the importance of wearing helmets. We've even been known to go cross-country
spreading the word, one town at a time.
Since 2005. Isara has created clean-up campaigns
in the local communities and also built a 30 foot plastic bottle boat using more than 6,000 recycled plastic bottles. The boat was sailed down the Mekong River, for our "Think Before You Throw"
campaign, which educates people about the dangers of polluting their rivers and oceans. In late-2011 Isara built a large Recycling Center
maintained by two full-time staff and Isara volunteers.
Isara also builds playgrounds, rebuilds classrooms, provides backpacks and school supplies to children, and provides support to local orphanages.
Oh, I almost forgot, we also like to sing karaoke!
At Isara we believe in transparency and are happy to share all financial information with anyone who asks. Starting January 1st, 2014 we no longer accept online donations or foreign sponsorships. All financial support comes from local Thai sponsors and from friends and family. Currently, our estimated monthly expenses are as follows (updated: February, 2014
- Monthly Expenses
- Learning Center rent
- Electric/Water bills (estimated)
- Misc. bills (teaching supplies, repairs)
- Website Hosting
- Internet Service
- Estimated Isara Expenses*
- Estimated Amount From Sponsors*
- Total in Isara Bank Acct. (Thailand)
- Amount (USD)
* Isara's Founder (Kirk) does not receive a salary from Isara. He receives support from items sold in a shop in the USA. Some projects posted here, or on Facebook, are considered "Isara projects" but are funded with Kirk's own money (ex: solar project and boat project). Amounts are estimated because some sponsors are unable to contribute each month. Expenses are also estimated and are based on the previous month. Only regular monthly contributions and expenses are posted here/online. One-time donations and project expenses (scholarships, helmets, etc.) can be provided upon request. If you have any questions or would like to see our full, day-to-day, accounting files please contact us.