Forums » Charity Projects

Mekong River Clean-up Campaign

• 3727 posts
    July 6, 2011 7:10 PM PDT

Thanks Tab and Anita! :-)

Last night we installed the spotlights. We don't plan on doing any sailing at night but it's best to be prepared.

Here is the map of the first leg (and possibly only leg) of our journey. It is about 650km (400 miles). You can monitor our progress down the Mekong River by visiting the link below and bookmarking it.

Follow our "Think Before You Throw" campaign on Google Maps.

Our plan is to leave on Saturday morning and stop in Phon Pi Sai (about 30 miles down river) on Saturday afternoon. We could go 100+ miles in one day but we don't want to go too fast or else people won't be able to see the boat we built and hear our message about keeping the rivers clean. So we're going to take it nice and slow.

• 5035 posts
    July 7, 2011 5:49 AM PDT
    All our best wishes for good weather and a safe journey. Have a wonderful adventure. I like the nice and slow part. Excellent decision!!
    • 3727 posts
    July 8, 2011 4:25 AM PDT

Here is a link to the "Think Before You Throw" website. There you will be able to follow along on our adventure down the Mekong River.

http://www.talktrash.org

We will be making regular updates on that site and you will also be able to track our progress.

This post was edited by Kirk Gillock at July 11, 2011 6:11 PM PDT
    • 1091 posts
    July 12, 2011 1:23 AM PDT
    Saw you drive out today. I felt sad but happy at the same time that the project is starting. We will keep track on you. GOOD LUCK!
    • 18 posts
    July 13, 2011 9:22 AM PDT
    I absolutely love this project. Good way to raise environmental awareness. Good luck on your trip. Will keep track on google map and on the website. :)
    • 74 posts
    July 14, 2011 2:55 AM PDT
    Best of luck and trust you have a safe and fruitful journey. Chok Dee
    • 3 posts
    October 3, 2011 8:38 PM PDT
    I am interested in how the journey went/ is going. I can't really find any updates on the site. Can you point me to some?
    • 18 posts
    October 4, 2011 1:41 AM PDT
    You can have a look at www.talktrash.org Kirk finished the Journey about 2 months ago. :)
    • 3 posts
    October 4, 2011 9:20 PM PDT
    Thanks! Sounded like quite the trip. This link should definitely be posted on the main page, under Projects maybe, so more people can see it.
  • October 6, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
    Well done Kirk, very proud!