Forums » Charity Projects

Mekong River Clean-up Campaign

• November 16, 2010 2:26 AM PST
    'Hopeitfloats.' We finished the second pontoon today so things are really starting to look good. Well done to everyone who has helped. Keep up the good work.
    • 86 posts
    November 16, 2010 4:23 AM PST
    Aahh. I know there's a great name out there just waiting to be found... Have brainstormed a bit but not yet satisfied:

Bottle up
    Clean machine/Green machine
    Trash splash
    Queen clean/Queen green
    • 5035 posts
    November 17, 2010 5:08 AM PST
    I have 3 I'd like to suggest: Imagine River Dreamer and My favorite........ Freedom's Choice - Think before you toss! This would use Isara's Foundation name, which in my opinion would be important to Isara's future. Almost everything in life is a "Choice".
    • 3727 posts
    November 18, 2010 12:05 AM PST
    Thanks for the suggestions. So far "Freedom's Choice" and "Trash Talk" are looking good.

Let's brainstorm a little. Freedom's Choice might sound a little too political. Like Freedom of Choice. So we might have to shy away from that one. Trash Talk is good because we will be talking about trash the entire time we're on the boat and "talk" is a word they know over here (there is a tv show called "Small Talk" that has kids answering questions). I just wish Trash Talk sounded more like a boat's name. But that's not a deal breaker. :-)
    • 27 posts
    November 18, 2010 2:01 AM PST
    I like anything with 'think' in the title, partly because people just don't think about throwing rubbish away here, but it may also have something to do with the translation of 'think' into Thai!! ;)
    • 1534 posts
    November 18, 2010 4:22 AM PST
    Looking at the list Ginafish posted, most of them don't sound like boat names at all. That is the cool thing about naming a boat, it can be whatever you want....even 'Whatever'....look it up, it's in the list... http://www.namethatboat.com/list-boat-names.htm#W

'Trashylady' is on the list.:)
    • 3727 posts
    November 18, 2010 9:58 PM PST
    Good point. Leaning towards "Trash Talk" but the domain names are all taken. Looks like the domain talktrash.org is available. :-) More progress! A big thank you to all the volunteers who have helped us make this campaign possible.
    • 1091 posts
    November 19, 2010 8:09 PM PST
    That looking reallll goood! Thank you all guys. Can't wait to see it float on the water. susu!!
    • 18 posts
    November 20, 2010 4:18 AM PST
    How about "Green Tara"

Green Tara is known as the Buddha of enlightened activity apparently. As 95% of Thailand is Buddhist and Enlightenment can be spirtual but can also mean having or showing a rational, modern, and well-informed outlook. So an enlightened activity can be recycling an looking after the environment.

Thanks to dictionary for enlightenment definition. A bit nerdy perhaps but I've always liked the name Tara :)
    • 86 posts
    November 22, 2010 5:52 AM PST
    The more I think of it, the more I think that Trash Talk is just perfect. :)
    • 63 posts
    November 22, 2010 5:24 PM PST
    Woow! Susu na kha,I'll cheer everyone up :-)"Can't wait to see it"
    • 5035 posts
    November 23, 2010 5:58 AM PST
    Please, if you can, take a video of the launch! Good luck! :) Cheers to our amazing Isara team! :)
    • 63 posts
    November 23, 2010 9:06 PM PST
    I think kirk will take a video. How r u, Kitkat?
    • 3727 posts
    November 28, 2010 11:44 PM PST
    The volunteers are hard at work preparing all the bottles for the dry ice shipment which will arrive tomorrow. There's also two welders working on the metal cross-supports for the two hulls. (Notice how his safety glasses are on top of his head?) Yesterday, Jan and Jeremy dug two trenches that lead from the boat down to the Mekong. If all goes as planned (which never happens) we will be attempting to "push" the boat into the river this weekend. :-)
  • November 29, 2010 12:37 AM PST
    Here's hoping for a launch this weekend ;-)
    • 124 posts
    November 29, 2010 7:39 PM PST
    Crossing my fingers for Isara, and more importantly all the Thai people who will no doubt stare befuddled at the crazy farang with his talk of trash... Maybe just maybe they'll ask themselves why a foreigner sees a future for Thailand. A future in which the river is beautiful and clean, where people respect and love the land in which they live.

Go Isara!
    • 15 posts
    November 29, 2010 9:41 PM PST
    This is so exciting, I can't wait for it to set sail!! Has a name been decided yet?
    • 5035 posts
    November 30, 2010 6:08 AM PST
    @hillscott said: Crossing my fingers for Isara, and more importantly all the Thai people who will no doubt stare befuddled at the crazy farang with his talk of trash... Maybe just maybe they'll ask themselves why a foreigner sees a future for Thailand. A future in which the river is beautiful and clean, where people respect and love the land in which they live. Go Isara!
    Ian, excellent comment and you stated Isara's Mekong River mission PERFECTLY!! :)
    • 29 posts
    December 1, 2010 6:46 AM PST
    Can't wait to see the boat on the river! Should be arriving in Nong Khai on Saturday! :)
    • 3727 posts
    December 7, 2010 12:10 AM PST
    THE BOAT FLOATS!!! :-) :-) At 1pm on Tuesday, Dec. 7th, a group of Thais and foreigners lowered the 10m (30 foot) plastic bottle boat into the Mekong River. We had spent weeks thinking (and worrying) about how we would get the boat down to the river. But the whole process of lowering the boat could not have gone any smoother. It took only about 3-4 minutes, thanks to some smart Thai carpenters, a lot of rope, and some strong volunteers. The launch was well documented. Almost every volunteer had a camera and we also got some good time-lapse too. We'll be sure to upload some pics soon! Thank YOU to everyone who has helped us build our plastic bottle boat and to everyone who has donated materials for it. :-)
    • 1091 posts
    December 7, 2010 12:14 AM PST
    I knew the boat will floats, CONGRATULATIONS!
    I'm so excited and can't wait to see the photos and video. Thank you everyone for all the help. We are almost there. Chai-Yo!! (mean cheers or yay in thai)
    • 63 posts
    December 7, 2010 1:24 AM PST
    Congratulations again Yha Hoo, the boat can float! :-) :-) :-)
    Everyone is so happy now! Same as Kirk. He still smiles since that time ha ha ha
    • 7061 posts
    December 7, 2010 3:55 AM PST
    Congratulations!! Thank you to all the volunteers who got the boat in the river! :D Can't wait to see pictures!
    • 3727 posts
    December 7, 2010 4:10 AM PST
    Here are some pics from the last few days. We used a somtum (papaya salad) mortar and pestle to grind up the dry ice. Our volunteers then placed a teaspoon of dry ice in over 2,000 bottles and then bundled them together. The bow of the boat is made of sheet metal and, in some areas, is 2-3 layers thick. ...Just in case we hit some icebergs. :-) Each section of the boat had a specific amount of bottles/liters, which we monitored. For the launch we used more than two thousand 1.5 liter bottles. The bow of the boat was filled with over 1,200 small (.6 liter) plastic bottles for extra buoyancy. Jan hard at work, the morning of the launch. Alec and May, from Nong Khai Design, oversee their crew preparing for the launch. One last shot before the big move. PUSH! NO, WAIT! .....PULL!!!!! Almost there! A large crowd gathered to watch. How did Tom get in the water? :-) Ok. Tom is safe. And, just like THAT, the boat was resting gently on the Mekong River. :-)
    • 5035 posts
    December 7, 2010 4:11 AM PST
    Congratulations!! Chai-Yo!!! to all our volunteers who worked to put the boat in the river!! I'm so excited the launch was perfect and without any problems. :) Wow! what an amazing project. :) The pictures are perfect!! It won't be long before it's time to contact the Thai news media and everyone else! (So relieved you made the bow strong just in case you encounter an iceberg or two.) LOL!