Forums » Volunteer at Isara

Isara Volunteer - Sean

• 618 posts
    July 14, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
    Thank You all again for the wonderful comments, it has been a pleasure sharing my experience with you. Beth- See you Soon! Here are a few more from today.  Last day at Starbucks (they pitched in and got me a mug).  My motorbike.  Lastly the moving cart lol.  Kirk has been dying to get this thing in action and it performed perfectly.    
    • 3727 posts
    January 15, 2008 7:31 PM PST
    Sean has arrived at the Isara Learning Center (ILC) in Nong Khai, Thailand.

After a long-winded orientation (I tend to ramble) we took a tour around town and then ate some Thai food along the river (where he also learned some Thai). We then walked around the mall and headed back to the ILC. Sean brought his laptop so we hooked up his room with the Internet and then decided to watch a movie.

The first night in a new place can be difficult (different sounds, different bed, and different reptiles - lol). Hopefully he rested well and is ready to start changing the world!

Welcome to Isara, Sean. We're glad you decided to help out.
    pk
    • 7061 posts
    January 15, 2008 7:39 PM PST
    Welcome to ILC Sean! I hope the frogs singing doesn't bother you! :D Maybe the orientation includes "must help humanely dispose of mating frogs" :D

Enjoy your once in a life experience! I hope you will count us as your extended family...you know..the kind that nags for photos and worries if you are wearing warm shoes. :D ;D
    • 5130 posts
    January 16, 2008 1:42 AM PST
    Well, now I get why he was at the top of your old building.  :)  You took him there.

Sean, welcome!!!!  Now, give PK some pointers on how to refine that orientation so its not so long winded when I get there.  Or maybe I can get the .pdf version.  :D

Take care and please hang in the forum when you have time.  :D
    • 3727 posts
    January 16, 2008 8:06 AM PST
    Today Sean toured around Nong Khai some more. We went to the Tasadet Market, drove along the riverside, and visited Statue Park. Afterwards Sean practiced driving the moped. Do you notice anything unusual? ;D Sean also taught his first classes this evening. The kids class was pretty small (it was a holiday today), but the adults class was full. Sean did a great job and didn't seem at all nervous (even though he told the students he was).
    • 618 posts
    January 16, 2008 8:43 AM PST
    I know whats wrong...the arrow is on the wrong side of the road ;D
    • 7061 posts
    January 16, 2008 9:28 AM PST
    He! Wasn't the arrow pointing AT you a hint that maybe you should switch sides of the road? :D
    • 5130 posts
    January 16, 2008 3:43 PM PST
    I live in Florida, the "blue hair" capital of the world.  There is absolutely NOTHING strange about painted arrows facing you as you drive.  We call it graffiti where I'm from.  :)
    • 654 posts
    January 16, 2008 8:32 PM PST
    Glad to see you there Sean.  Its nice to see someone doing good work and taking up the reins.
    Have fun Sean and be careful to stay on the left when driving.
    • 1091 posts
    January 17, 2008 12:36 AM PST
    Welcome to the ILC Nongkhai, Thailand. Sean. I'm very excited for Isara to have New volunteer helping there.
    Thank you and Have a great time.
    (Every volunteer may visiting the same places but people is different. Have fun) :)
    • 3 posts
    January 17, 2008 10:20 PM PST
    Sean!!!!

It's so good to see you having such experiences there.  Moosejaw misses you so much, and I've been spreading the word of Isara like crazy.

You look so happy, and at "home"...which for so many people is NOT their "home"  :)

I love and care for you so much, and can't wait to see you again, and hear of your adventures!!!!!!

~ Beth
    • 3727 posts
    January 17, 2008 11:06 PM PST
    Hi Beth. I can't speak for Sean but, from the looks of his wardrobe, he loves and misses Moosejaw very much too! He wears the Moosejaw shirts almost everyday and speaks highly of everyone there. He was even kind enough to bring my girlfriend (Ming) and I some Moosejaw shirts. Here's some photos featuring Sean and Moosejaw.  
    • 33 posts
    January 18, 2008 6:16 AM PST
    You don't know how proud it makes me feel to see Sean's pictures come up helping and enjoying all the people involved with Isara!  The only picture that makes me nervous is the one on the scooter with the arrow pointing at him. Yikes! Stay on the left, Sean....I know he's having a great time playing what we call Bocce Ball.  He knows that game well! :D
    • 52 posts
    January 18, 2008 12:41 PM PST
    Sean! I am so proud to see that you are there! I hope that you are adjusting well and that the trip is amazing for you. Singing frogs have always been something I've liked- looks like I really do have to come  out there sometime. lol Enjoy it for all of us!

I wanna see frog photos.
    • 3 posts
    January 18, 2008 1:02 PM PST
    PK!

Thank you so much for posting those pictures!  It makes me feel so good and inspires me so much to see pictures of Sean there  :)

I'm really hoping to go and help like Sean is doing now...I'll definitely be touching base with you about that in the near future.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Love you Sean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 1091 posts
    January 21, 2008 2:51 AM PST
    I've got an idea. Maybe Sean could take a picture of things he likes while in Nongkhai (one pic a day) and post it for us. That would be fun and interesting!  What do you all think? Agree? ;)

If everyone agrees then Sean... that's your new job now. ::)
    • 5035 posts
    January 21, 2008 4:29 AM PST
    From one mother to another mother, it's feels so good seeing Sean's family and friends supporting Sean's journey and his volunteering in Nongkhai for Isara. I know you all are very proud of him for reaching out and giving to others.  He will be rewarded, in many ways, for helping Isara change our world.

KitKat/Isara's Mom
    • 7061 posts
    January 21, 2008 4:52 AM PST
    Ming said:
    I've got an idea. Maybe Sean could take a picture of things he likes while in Nongkhai (one pic a day) and post it for us. That would be fun and interesting!  What do you all think? Agree? ;) If everyone agrees then Sean... that's your new job now. ::)
    Look at Ming Challenge Sean! One Picture a Day!?! Then he's very far behind already! There's the perfect place for that though...it's called the Isarablog and it's easy to use. Hint Hint Hint! Oh, and it is a great way to share your adventure with Betty and Beth and Moosejaw friends. Hint Hint Hint ;D
    • 618 posts
    January 22, 2008 4:55 AM PST
    Today was one of those days that reminds me why traveling, exploring new cultures, and making new friends is my favorite thing to do.  Yesterday a group of students from one of the local universities came by looking for help for their US visas.  PK gave them some help and they decided they would like to come back tomorrow so I could run through it with them (PK is in Laos renewing his visa).  Today after a session of them not understanding English and me not able to understand enough Thai, I eventually realized they wanted me to come out to dinner with them.  Long story short the restaurant was closed but they let us take away what we needed to make our own meal.  Back at the ILC the girls prepared a feast and the rest of the evening was spent with broken english/thai and an incredible amount of laughs.                 
    • 5130 posts
    January 22, 2008 5:39 AM PST
    Good for you, Sean!  That was really nice of them to cook food AND that the restaurant, even though closed, still gave you the fixins.  ;D  Looks like a good time!
    • 7061 posts
    January 22, 2008 6:23 AM PST
    ;D Sean, you are going to make my cheeks hurt from smiling at all your pictures! ;D How was the dinner?
    • 618 posts
    January 22, 2008 7:06 AM PST
    It was very interesting. ;D  I didn't know exactly what everything was or at least I hadn't seen it in that form but overall it was pretty good.  When I'm traveling I take a 'When in Rome' attitude towards food and more often then not accept that if the locals are eating it so can I. 
    • 5130 posts
    January 22, 2008 7:18 AM PST
    Sean said:
    It was very interesting. ;D  I didn't know exactly what everything was or at least I hadn't seen it in that form but overall it was pretty good.  When I'm traveling I take a 'When in Rome' attitude towards food and more often then not accept that if the locals are eating it so can I. 
    But what about that revenge seeking Montezuma?  I was told that the bugaboos in Thailand had grown resistant to Cipro so I would have to take...take... oh darn, I forgot.  But something else.  You can eat the hot spicy food over there?  :)  I keep trying to add hot spices to my foods here to kinda get me accustomed.
    • 7061 posts
    January 22, 2008 7:30 AM PST
    Both of you! Before you eat the insects, take pictures. I want proof they went in your mouth! :D
    • 5130 posts
    January 22, 2008 7:37 AM PST
    Gina---as if we need ANOTHER reason to be jealous--->

Also noteworthy: The only bug I ever intend to eat willingly is a lobster.  ;D